Monday, October 19, 2009

Good for the heart

You’ve got to live a little silly…


They say that laughter is the best medicine. Numerous studies have proven that laughing is a very healthy activity, similar to exercising. Meaning, you laugh, you burn some calories, stretch out a few muscles in your face and body, and boost your heart rate. This humorous remedy can also help prevent heart disease – or so they say. But why do I mention all these details? Well, I thought it fitting to provide a scientific perspective before I plead my case of living silly.


What I mean by living silly is taking the time to unwind and expand your sense of humor by doing something out of the ordinary. Think of the things you’ve been tempted to do when no one is looking – the PG rated things, please. I believe doing something silly every now and again can really heighten your energy levels and remind you not to take yourself too seriously. Being unpredictably juvenile teaches you to laugh and take pleasure in the moment. You face situations with a more positive attitude and begin your day with a livelier spirit. It can be quite the liberating experience too, dropping the restrictive codes of conduct and acting stupid. But let me clarify, by stupid I don’t mean robbing a bank with your bare hands and making your escape on foot. I’m referring to having some safe fun here. Examples? Sure. Try these: Sing the national anthem at the top of your lungs in the shower; shake your trunk like you haven’t shaken it in years to “Play That Funky Music”; choose an accent to imitate and go to your nearest coffee shop to order a drink; use funny words, like turd, in your daily vocabulary; bark whenever someone says your name; etc.


I know life can come at you hard and I am conscious that there is a time to be serious… but then, every other instance is an opportunity to have fun. Living silly can be a rare pleasure worth savoring. At least, give it a try - you’d be surprised at how good it can feel to just laugh out at your own absurdities, and after that, all that’s left is for you to enjoy yourself.


By: V.S

No comments:

Post a Comment